Today I came across this, Always Bolt the Door! Hotel Where Room Keys Open Every Door over at View From The Wing.
Safety at home is a big deal, safety while traveling is a bigger deal. and here's a few reasons why.
- You're out of your element.
- You're at the mercy of someones, not your, definition of security and safety.
- If you choose to carry, it can be tough with local laws, TSA....blah, blah, blah.
|Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Airport Area|
If you watch the video above, the major take-away is that the doors open to the outside, road warriors call those down-and-outs and we very rarely stay at those. Here's a few reasons why....
- Ever watch the TV show Cops? Have you ever seen them in the interior hallway of a hotel room......Doubtful.
- Down-and-outs usually have an interior hallway running between the rooms, plenty of opportunities for people to scratch the backing off of bathroom mirrors and create a window into your world.
- They are noisy as hell, think no carpet on the walkway.
- Never stay on the ground floor, this needs no more explanation.
- If you're booked into an adjoining room make sure to check the lock.
- Make sure you set the deadbolt, see the video above.
- Let family and friends know where you're staying, consider using TripIt.
- Grab a business card when you check in, that way when you're out you'll the the hotels address.
- You can always place a band-aid over the peephole in the door.
- Hotel safes are a joke. I've removed them from more closets and wall units than I care to count, the reason, because I could.