Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Don't pull out the checkbook

Nobel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison will make a fine commencement speaker at this year's Rutgers University graduation ceremonies. She will engage the students and inspire them with all the hard-earned wisdom of her 80 years. She also will leave the stage $30,000 richer. And that's a problem.

This is the first time that Rutgers is paying a commencement speaker. It's a bad precedent — not only for Rutgers but for other institutions that heretofore have shunned the idea of pulling out the checkbook to induce name speakers to address their graduates.

Read More

At first read I thought this was an Aprils Fools joke (it might still be) but I was amazed.......so decided to watch an episode of Jersey Shore this afternoon. After losing an hour of my life that I will never get back I must say "I'm impressed" apparently "Snookie" is/was smart enough to hire an agent that could land her a commencement gig that paid $32k.....damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment